Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 WE SCARE FEAR!


Welcome to 2014! I know you have set your goals by now, created a plan and even bought that daily planner. Kudos to you, you 2014 goal setter, you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, “Oh, motivated one” but bad news: ONLY 8% of people reach NY Resolutions/Goals. I know why; want the scoop?

Six days ago you were the same person you were today- well, except now you have a really cool 2014 planner. It is cool.
 

Even though you have set goals and created a plan, if you do not review 2013 and some of the goals that you did not achieve, you will be a part of the 92% of people who do not reach their goals this year.

The trick is in identifying ways that you self-sabotage. I can tell you in most cases, people Fear something. And, if you are the person who says “I am no longer in that part of my life where I fear things,” you are someone that still has a lot of self-searching to do.

That may sound quite pushy of me to say, but the reality is that we all have biases, things that we struggle at, and fears. Even the best of the best fear something. Maybe it is fear of being too late, not credible enough, fear of success, fear of being too young, fear of failure, fear of losing it all, etc. Fear disguises itself.  

 
Fear is faithful. It shows up in every situation. It comes with you to the bathroom, when you are relaxing alone, when you are in groups with others. It loves to sit by you as you work on life goals. No matter how many times you change the goal, the same fear can ruin your successful path. Fear is consistent.

Fear sat next to me every minute that I typed out my Type “S”uperwoman book. It stood by me longer than my husband did and it talked to me more than a gossiping 16 year old girl breaking up with her boyfriend. Fear never left my side. Fear made me cry a couple times, and even encouraged me to “take a break from this.”

When I got up at 4am to write, fear was already up at 3:59am. Sometimes fear encouraged me to “go back to it later” when I was “more rested.” When fear saw that I put on headphones and ignored it, Fear got really mad and put my credibility on the line, down playing everything I ever worked for and who I am. Fear is spiteful and hateful.

When you hit a barrier or a reason to stop working toward your goals, know that fear has stepped up its game b/c you have challenged it. By creating fear in you and then adding excuses, Fear is managing to slowly disarm the limited control and power you have. Do not give in or give up.

Here is a hint for you. If you start hearing the voice of fear get louder, know that you are probably on the right track. Fear only speaks up when it thinks you are gaining the upper hand. If you ever venture out to have fun, even something simple like 30 minutes to yourself, fear will tell you all the other things you “should” be doing. Fear will always tell you that you are wrong- about everything.

This month’s challenge is to acknowledge your fears and deal with them. If you push them aside, that is because fear is telling you that you have other things to do (aside from dealing with the real problem). If you are not self-aware of your fears AND deal with them, do not expect anything to change, including your pattern of failed New Year’s Resolutions.

2014- Fear no longer scares us: WE SCARE FEAR
 

No comments:

Post a Comment